SHOOTING GUIDE FOR VIDEOGRAPHERS/PHOTOGRAPHERS
Plant a Wish: Hawaii Finale
November 5, 2011
Aloha documentarians! The list below explains kinds of shots will be the most likely to be selected for the Plant a Wish documentary. Feel free to be as creative as you like, and use whatever camera you have access to.
SHOT LIST FOR NOVEMBER 5th TREE PLANTING EVENTS:
(Click here for downloadable version to take with you.)
- Establishing shots – Wide shot of landscape. Is it a dry urban setting? Is it in the jungle? Make sure you have a few shots that let the viewer know where you are. If a business, take shots of the signage. Take shots of the tree planting site before and after tree is planted.
- People Shots – Take shots of the people who are participating. Close up shots of faces, and wide shots of the whole group.
- Wishes – Take shots of people writing wishes on paper. People can also share their wishes on camera. Be aware of high wind areas – you want to avoid wind as best as you can to capture good audio.
- Tree Planting Shots – Take shots of trees in pots, digging holes, close ups of hands in dirt, hands on tools, roots etc…
- Group Shots – After tree is planted have everyone pose with the tree. Have everyone hold onto tree and film all hands on tree from high and low angles.
VERY IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTE: Please have everyone sign the Plant a Wish Group Talent Release Form (click to download PDF and print). Please print out a few of these and bring to the event you are filming. Have participants sign the form before you begin filming, making them aware that you are capturing footage for the Plant a Wish documentary. All participants must sign the release or we will not be able to use the footage in our film. Children under the age of 18 require the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
SUBMITTING YOUR FOOTAGE: As a general rule, if the footage was captured to tape, we’ll have you mail the tape to us. If it was digital, we’ll ask that you put your digital files on a DVD+R as a .mov file, and mail the disc to us. If you have questions about how to submit, please email us. We are happy to work on collecting footage from you on a case-by-case basis.
Our mailing address is:
Plant a Wish
1135 Makawao Ave #103-182
Makawao, HI 96768
ANY QUESTIONS? Please call Sara at 808-250-4030.