Ever since returning to Maui from our 50-state tree planting tour, we’ve felt more connected than ever to our island community and the land that sustains us. But, we notice there is an inbalance. Invasive trees are falling, making soils unviable for other living things, and are crowding out sunlight, not allowing things to thrive under their canopies. Meanwhile native plants and trees are so few and far between. With recent weather patterns, some say due to climate change, we are seeing the increasing need for our native habitat to return.
While there is so much about this that is out of our control, we can do some small, lasting things to make positive change. We like to think of native tree planting as one of the most revolutionary things you can do! And, we’ll make it easy for you, whether you’re on Maui or not, to participate in our project.
Here’s just five of the many ways you can collaborate with us.
- Dedicate a Tree This is the best option if you’re not on Maui, or if you’re buying a gift. You order the tree, we plant it for you, and you get a gift card and a certificate! You could dedicate a tree to a loved one on their birthday, as a wedding gift or celebration of a birth, and also to honor and memorialize someone who has passed. These gifts can be personalized!
- Adopt a Tree If you own land on Maui, have space for a tree, and can commit to watering and basic care for the first two years, we will bring a tree to you and help you plant it!
- Donate to our Tree Planting Fund We are running a year-round project requiring time and resources to keep it going. Your donations will go towards coordinating larger tree planting events, much-needed supplies, and to purchasing trees from local farmers when needed.
- Purchase a “Pirate’s Wish” cocktail at South Shore Tiki Lounge in Kihei The excellent folks at this popular Kihei watering hole (with great food and entertainment, as well as cocktails) love to support causes they’re passionate about, and we’re thankful that they’re offering proceeds from sales of a rum cocktail they dedicated to us! All proceeds go into our Tree Planting Fund. (Offer good until end of Summer 2014.)
- Volunteer to plant trees on Maui with Plant a Wish! Perfect for the hands-on, roll your sleeves up type of person! Sign up on our volunteer mailing list and we’ll reach out to you periodically with upcoming events and opportunities you can be a part of. Alternatively, if you’re part of a group that is traveling to Maui, we may be able to custom-design a volunteer experience for your group. If this is the case, please reach out to us and let us know more about you!