We’re on our way from Los Angeles to Tucson (location of our first tree planting event), and we’ve got the tour vehicle packed to the brim with supplies! To learn more about our event in Arizona, check out our Facebook event invite.
Many people have asked us how we go about packing for this project and keeping everything we need in one mini SUV. Well, here’s the jist of what we’ve got:
- The vehicle. A Nissan Rogue (rented), covered in vinyl re-usable stickers with our logo, website address, and logo of our major sponsor, Skyline Eco-Adventures. While it’s not the hybrid we were hoping for, it was more affordable and is better on gas than the SUV we had for our Summer 2010 tour.
- The necessities. iPhones, MacBookPro, hard drives, two reusable coffee mugs, reusable water bottle, 100 watt inverter for cigarette lighter.
- Two suitcases. one for Sara and one for Joe (clothes, shoes, books)
- Documentary/Camera Gear. Port-a-brace camera bag with camera (Panasonic DVX-100b), several microphones, filters, batteries, a tripod, flex-fill collapsible reflector, case of 100 Sony Mini DV tapes (thanks to Edgewise for the special “From the Heart Productions” discount), two Eiko lamps, c-stands, various cables, cords, release forms.
- Time-lapse Cam. This is mounted to the front of our vehicle and it takes one still shot per minute of our entire tour, with an exception of times when it is completely dark. The camera (Brinno’s “Garden Cam”) was made for gardeners to watch their plants grow, so it’s also weatherproof!
- Tree Planting Event Supplies. Two shovels – one for adults, one for kids. Our “Plant a Wish” banner (hung at all events), a box of “Plant a Wish” t-shirts, a table, two folding chairs, brown paper bags (used in scraps for written wishes), box of pens, “Plant a Wish” Native Tree Pledge forms
- Camping Supplies: a weather-proof tent, air mattress, air pump, bedding, pillows, a small cooler.